11 best maps in CS:GO
There is a wide variety of locations in the CS:GO shooter – every player can find something suitable for their style and mood. Some CS GO maps find resonance in the hearts of so many gamers that they become popular worldwide, well recognized by the majority of the community.
Which are those locations? Here they are, in one list of the best maps in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
Let’s begin with classifying maps by their types. It’s easier than it sounds – players participate in a few scenarios on CSGO maps. These scenarios determine the map type.
So, here we have:
- Bomb Defusal maps. Terrorists need to plant a powerful bomb, and counter-terrorists must stop them. This is the most popular game mission in CS:GO. Esports competitions invite us to watch professional players demonstrating their skills in Bomb Defusal.
- Hostage Rescue maps. Counter-terrorists must rescue hostages, and terrorists try to keep them hidden and tied up. This is also a very popular scenario, and many players enjoy it in multiplayer and solo modes.
- War Games maps. Apart from two main scenarios, the game CS:GO proposes some additional shooting adventures with unusual missions. They are grouped in the special section of the game menu, named “War Games.” Here you may find various modes, which change over time. For 2018, we have Arms Race (to learn weapons, which are given with every new kill), Demolition (small maps with only one bombsite to plant the bomb in or to protect), Flying Scoutsman (locations with low gravitation).
All the popular CS:GO maps are in the first two groups. Players rarely chose locations from the War Games group – usually for a fun training game.
9 the best Bomb Defusal maps
There are many nice maps with the bomb defusal scenario, but here we have selected the best, often chosen by professional teams and players with different CS:GO Ranks.
There is a fictional town with Moroccan style architecture, and terrorists and counter-terrorists play on it with the dangerous bomb. Mirage is in the highest ranks of popularity among CS:GO players. This location was a popular unofficial map for the classic Counter-Strike game. Valve has added Mirage to the official set with the release of the CS:GO game.
A beautiful European city becomes a place of intense battles. Some think that Inferno is based on Spain’s Basque Country with ETA separatists as terrorists. Some consider this CS:GO location as an Italian town, because the inscriptions are made in the Italian language. The main target for terrorists here is destroying one of two important gas pipelines. The developers added Inferno to the original game; it was in Condition Zero, in Source, and, of course, in Global Offensive.
In the abandoned city of Pripyat, Ukraine, terrorists plan to make a huge explosion – maybe even to hook in the Chernobyl Power Plant and spread even more radiation around the world. Will the counter-terrorists be skilled enough to stop this threat? Cache was first a custom map in the game Counter-Strike: Source. Then it became official in CS:GO.
With this map, game events move to Berlin, Germany. Players appear on a canal overpass and a park – terrorists try to demolish a military shipment or the overpass by planting the bomb near the supporting pillar. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is the first game where Overpass has been presented to gamers.
- Dust II
This map appeared in the original game as a successor to classic Dust. It has been a part of every Counter-Strike game since then. For CS:GO, this location was significantly revised. On Dust II, you play somewhere in the virtual Middle East – everything here has been made in this style. Terrorists want to explode crates containing chemical weapons. Will you help them or try to stop them?
Planting the bomb near nuclear payloads is quite a significant threat from the terrorists! And they really might do this on the map Train. Here, the game invites to play in a Russian railway depot. This location was presented in the very first installment of the Counter-Strike series, then it was in Source, and finally, with significant changes, in CS:GO.
A nuclear station somewhere in Germany is a super important object for counter-terrorists to protect from vicious attacks. But the virtual terrorists of CS:GO are powerful guys too! The Nuke map is based on warehouses with nuclear materials. It’s a classic map from the original Counter-Strike and CS: Source. In CS:GO, the Nuke map was significantly improved.
This map has been added to the Counter-Strike universe from the Global Offensive release. It’s based on an Italian city with many canals (Do you know one? It’s Venice, of course). Two historical places, which attract many tourists, become potential targets for terrorists and their C4 bomb.
Someone may know this map by its old name – Cobble. Here, the counter-terrorists try to protect the fictional character Lord William from being killed and his country house from being destroyed. The Cobblestone map has been a part of these Counter-Strike games: original, Condition Zero, Source, and, of course, Global Offensive.
To choose one of these maps in the offline mode or for a private server, you may use special CS:GO console commands – our guide will help you!
The best Hostage Rescue maps
This scenario has significantly fewer fans, and its map assortment is rather small; that’s why we’ve chosen only two maps for the top list.
This map may be found in every multiplayer Counter-Strike game. Players appear in a virtual location with an office building and parking zones. Will the counter-terrorists be able to rescue the innocent hostages? Office, also known as The Office Complex, is the most popular map in the Hostage Rescue group.
This was a custom map, but it has now been added to the official map set of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. The hostage rescue events take place on a top of a skyscraper, in a penthouse.
You are free to say that all CSGO maps are very beautiful places to explore and enjoy shooting missions. They often become topics of CS:GO wallpapers for your computer’s desktop – check and download them on the Skins.Cash blog.
All CS:GO maps in different game modes
For starting a multiplayer match, you must select a game mode from the five available (in the upper menu). They offer different schemes of choosing maps
Location sets in these modes may change from time to time (as in the recent return of Dust II to the Active Duty map pool).
- Casual – matches that do not influence your in-game rank. Gamers play them for fun, for training, and for getting experience points. Here we have two groups of defusal maps (Sigma and Delta) and one group of Hostage Rescue maps. The game randomly chooses a map for you to play.
- Competitive – the main mode in CS:GO, with the hottest emotions involved. It proposes matches for ranking in the game. The map set is limited by official locations, chosen by Valve. Indicate those where you are willing to play. Remove those you don’t like. You may leave only one map in order to play only on it.
- Deathmatch – these fights are suitable for fast warming-up. Players re-spawn after deaths with new weapons. They earn points for kills and more successful teams win. Here we have the same map groups as for the Casual mode.
- War Game – the maps mentioned above for Arms Race, Demolition, and Flying Scoutsman scenarios. These locations are unique but aren’t very popular, as with the scenarios themselves.
- Wingman – a relatively new game mode with short rounds and only one Bombsite. Teams have only two players. This mode offers play on a selection of small Bomb Defusal maps – choose them in the same ways as in the Competitive matchmaking.
Each and every CS:GO map has its own unique atmosphere – you can feel it while playing at the location. Those atmospheres may give an amazing experience to one player but be just unbearable for another. So you never know what is your individual set of the best CSGO maps – this guide just gives direction for your own exploration, for your own shooting adventure.
It would be wise to try your strength on each of the abovementioned maps and, maybe, even try other in-game locations. Only practice makes perfect – this is the way to become an advanced CS:GO player. To help yourself in this process, read our tutorial “Essential CS:GO Launch Options.”