Essential CS:GO Launch Options (To Become Advanced Player)
The game Counter-Strike: Global Offensive includes different adjustments for particular gamers and their specific needs. Changing the launch options is one of the most advanced adjustments!
Here is the list of CS GO launch options – for you guys to use effectively to boost your in-game abilities.
What are they for?
The default condition of CS:GO is just fine – at least for beginners and rather casual gamers. Players who delve into the game a bit deeper may find some inconveniences in the default settings. Some gamers prefer to change the crosshair. Some need to see the FPS information on the screen or to make the computer put all its power into the game only.
The more convenient everything is, the better you battle on the virtual CS:GO maps. To boost convenience, use one of these two methods:
- CS:GO console commands. They are pieces of programming code which can be added through the special window in the game itself. Their effects are various – read more about them in the guide “Advanced list of CS:GO console commands”. Still, their effects may be impermanent, and you may find yourself needing to enter them again and again.
- CS GO launch options. Their effects are active by default in all your playing sessions. They are CSGO startup commands, so the game will launch with them. This is an excellent way to make your adjustments and keep them running – of course, if you are entirely sure of what you are doing.
Which method do you prefer? In both cases, it’s always a good idea to get enough starter game experience and only then, with proper understanding of what is going on, begin using the launch options and console commands.
How to change launch options in CS:GO?
This is an easy process with 5 steps:
- Open the Steam application and visit the page of your game library.
- Find Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and right-click on it.
- Choose “Properties” in the context menu.
- Press the button “Set Launch” option (it is in the “General” section).
- Enter commands for the launch options, following these rules: use all the symbols in a command, including “+” and “–“; put a space between commands, if you enter more than one.
- Press “OK”, close the “Properties” window, and launch the game.
The best CS GO launch options
It may be useful to check all the commands in this list – to know what you can do, to see what to choose from. You can copy any command from this CS:GO guide and paste them directly into the launch options window.
Options for the game window:
- -fullscreen (or -full) – enter this command for launching the game in full-screen mode. Nothing will distract you from the shooter.
- -windowed (or –window; -sw; -startwindowed) – this is a command for those who prefer playing in the standard computer window, having quick access to other programs on the computer. To set the game window’s size, add -w [for the width] and -h [for the height]. To place the game window to a particular place on the screen, use -x [the position horizontally]; -y [the position vertically]. (Enter your values instead of .
- -noborder – the CS:GO window will have no external borders.
Options for better game performance:
- -high – the game will get high priority from the computer. Other applications will go to the background, and your CPU with GPU will try to concentrate on CS:GO. It’s a nice way to reduce lags and decrease FPS on low-end computers.
- -threads [number of CPU cores] – this option may have just a minor effect, but still, there are chances to improve game performance on average computers. Indicate the number of cores in your processor to make CS:GO use them all.
- +mat_queue_mode 2 – multicore rendering, so the computer uses more power for creating the image on the screen.
- -novid – removes the starting video. This command helps to save your time and prevent unnecessary loads on the computer.
- +fps_max 0 – with this command, you will remove all limitations on the maximum of frames per second (FPS). The bigger this index is, the more often your screen is refreshing, so you see the current in-game situation with no micro delays and act more efficiently. A high index may overload the computer and cause lags. So use the same command but add a max number of FPS to make a reasonable limit. For example, +fps_max 60 – for a limit of 60 frames per second. Adjust CS GO Launch Options FPS according to the real possibilities of your computer
- -tickrate 128 – a command for your offline server. When you want to play with friends and create an offline server, its tick rate will be set at 64. This means your computer will refresh information about the game 64 times per second. Enter a bigger number for nice, powerful computers.
- -refresh 144 (or-refreshrate 144; -freq 144) – increases the refresh rate for your monitor. Of course, it should be a 144Hz one for this option. Check the real possibilities of your monitor and use that number.
- +cl_forcepreload 1 – makes the game pre-load all the textures on the map to use them quicker during matches. With this option activated, you may increase FPS.
A couple of other options may be useful for you:
- -console – for launching the developer console after starting the game. Maybe you have a set of console commands to activate as soon as possible, so this command will help.
- -language English – sets the language for the game. It’s useful for different languages in the game and in the Steam application.
Even Valve, the developer company of CS:GO, warns that these launch options are for advanced users only. Are you one of them?